Join us as we grow in fellowship and continue our lifelong journey of learning. Small groups are available on a variety of topics and at several meeting times.
Sunday Morning Small Groups
The Early Bird Bible Study – 7:45 am, Church House Library
The Early Bird study continues a Lenten series through April 2, focusing on the events of Passion Week.
The Early Birds meet from 8-8:45 on Sunday mornings, with coffee and conversation from 7:45 -8:00 AM. Visitors and new members are always welcome!
Bursting Our Bubbles: Bible-Based Dialogues — Begins February 26 at 9:00 am in the Church House Parlor
The 2016 American presidential election cycle and subsequent events have highlighted a situation that has been building for a number of years: We are living in an increasingly polarized society, with strongly divided opinions on key public issues. Many have observed that we are increasingly living in “bubbles,” where we interact almost exclusively with others of the same persuasion and find the views of those outside out own chosen community of contacts incomprehensible. This series of discussions will consider ways we can escape our bubbles by using the Bible as a resource to consider how we can talk to those whose viewpoints are different from ours and to explore opposing views about some controversial current public issues.
- February 26 How can we converse with those whose beliefs and convictions differ from ours?
- March 5 Can we really trust “elites,” trained experts, and those in powerful positions?
- March 12 Special event at 4 PM (no meeting in the morning): “Religion and Politics in America,” a talk by Dr. Robin W. Lovin, Senior Fellow, Center of Theological Inquiry, Princeton University and Cary Maguire University Professor of Ethics, Emeritus, and formerly Dean of the Perkins Divinity School at Southern Methodist University and of the Theological School at Drew University. Dr. Lovin is a world-renowned expert on Christian ethics and the relationships between religion, law, and government.
- March 19 What makes a nation great?
- March 26 Should we welcome or restrict access to immigrants and refugees?
- April 2 Should we accept or try to alleviate income inequality?
- April 9 How can we cope with disturbing and disruptive changes?
Walk and Talk Group will be meeting on Sept 6 and Sept 27 at Betty Hahn’s home (144 Village Drive, Basking Ridge) from 8:30 to 10:30 am. The group will walk for about 20 minutes prior to discussing the book, Experiments in a Search for God by Mark Thurston. This is a study in personal spiritual growth aided by exercises that can be done between meetings. For more information contact Betty Hahn at 908-221-9294 or email@example.com. All are welcome.
Tuesday Evenings, at the home of Bob and Eleanor Taylor. You are warmly invited to join the small group that meets on Tuesday evenings at 7:30 p.m. at the home of Bob and Eleanor Taylor in Basking Ridge. We will study N.T. Wright’s book Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection and the Mission of the Church. Bob will lead the first discussion, but we will do shared leadership. The BRPC library has a copy of the book, study guide and DVD. Please join us! For more information, contact Bob and Eleanor Taylor at 766-2077 or Ellen Greenhorn at 766-2512.
Women’s Bible Studies
Wednesdays, 9:30am, Church House Parlor
The Women’s Bible group is studying the “I Am” sayings of Jesus during Lent. Join us in the Parlor on Wednesday mornings from 9:30-11:30 a.m. New members are always welcome and you can pop in when your schedule allows. Contact Maureen Paterson for more information.
Thursdays, 9:30–10:30 am, Church House Lower Level
Women’s Group—for women of all ages and stages! We meet every Thursday from 9:30-10:30 a.m. in the church house lower level. There is meaningful discussion about our lives, faith, and the Bible. This is a wonderful place for women at all stages of Biblical knowledge and wherever you are on your faith journey. Contact Jackie Obregon for more information.
Tuesdays at 7:30pm in Church House Library. Those who have previously taken a class and would like to join the group should contact Linda Mills.
Mary Circle Women’s Group
12:30pm (2nd Thursdays) in the Church House Parlor
Bring a sandwich for your lunch; the lesson will follow, led by Elaine Coulthart. We are studying the book of Mark. New members or visitors are most welcome!
Are you interested in joining or helping to lead a small group? Contact Dr. Maureen Paterson for more information or latest schedule.