Lent is the 40-day season of the Christian year where Christians focus on simple living, prayer, and fasting, in order to grow closer to God. It is a season of taking stock of one’s life in general and one’s spiritual life in particular, and to seek repentance, renewal, and rebirth. In some traditions it is when the catechism process happens for those preparing to join the church or be baptized.
Here are all of the special services, concerts, small groups, and fellowship events we are offering during Lent and Holy Week. We invite you to take part in each of them, and to bring a friend!
25 – Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper, 5:30-7 pm
Join us at noon on Wednesdays (March 4, 11, 18, 25, and April 1) for a short service featuring special music, followed by a soup-and-sandwich lunch.
March 29 – Spring Oratorio Concert, 4 pm. Featuring a program of music by female composers including Requiem by Eleanor Daley.
Small Group Opportunities
During this season of Lent we encourage you to join a small group. Come and discover the joy of fellowship, learning and prayer in a loving and supportive community. For more information about any of these groups, please contact the person listed or Maureen Paterson.
- Early Bird: 7:45-8:45 a.m. – A study of Galatians and Jesus’ Claims – Our Promises. Church House Library. Contact Chris Whitlock.
- Study Group: 9-9:45 a.m. – Mark’s Gospel and a study of the lectionary text for the day. Church House Parlor. Contact Charles King.
- Growth Group: 11:15 a.m.-12:30 p.m. “Love Does” by Bob Goff. Learning to make our faith work in our daily lives. Childcare will be available. Church House Parlor. Contact Maureen Paterson. (March 1, 8, 15, 22)
- Walk and Talk: “Amazing Grace” by Kathleen Norris. Meets from 9-11 a.m. to walk and discuss important topics of faith. Contact Betty Hahn.
- Small Group: 7:15 -9:00 p.m. Church House Library. “Life Together” by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. A study on Christian life in a community. Group begins on Feb 18th. Church House Library. Contact Ellen Greenhorn.
- Women’s Bible Study: 9:30-11:30 a.m. “Soulkeeping” by John Ortberg. Church House Parlor. Contact Maureen Paterson.
- Next Level Sr. High Small Group Study—4 weeks: March 11-April 1 from 7:45-9 p.m. in the Youth Center. The topic is “Justice.” Contact Cathi Reckenbeil.
- Men’s Coffee and Conversation: 7:30-9:00 a.m. “What We Talk About When We Talk About God” by Rob Bell. Church House Library. Contact David Brownlee.
Holy Week & Easter
4,5 – Palm Sunday Weekend
- Worship Saturday 5 pm and Sunday 10 am
- Childrens’ and Family Easter Eggstravaganza celebration Sunday, following worship.
9 – Maundy Thursday Worship, 7:30 pm
10 – Good Friday Worship, 7:30 pm
11 – Easter Saturday Vigil, 5 pm
12 – Easter Sunday Worship, 9 and 10:30 am